- The City of Surrey is one of the fastest-growing municipalities in Canada!
- Ever rising need for culturally appropriate long-term care facilities
- Seniors are on a long waitlist before being accepted into a care facility
- By 2039, the City of Surrey population is expected to grow by 46%, largely driven by 65+ population, which is expected to grow by 144%
- The demand for care facility beds is expected to triple in the next few years, which means Surrey will need 1,500 beds by 2039
Guru Nanak Diversity Village
- In dedication to Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- Advocated & preached ideals based on equality for all, regardless of their religion, birth, gender, caste, color, or position in the society
- One of the biggest projects dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev Ji during his 550th birth anniversary year.
- Based on the concept of “Tree of Life”
- Leaves of various colors depict different cultures living & growing together respectfully
- Leaves look similar in shape & size, yet each one is unique – just like the residents of the facility
- Tree roots depict a facility deeply rooted in respect, values, & care, whereby improving the final years of the seniors
- Out of the total project cost of $ 118 million, BC Government through BC Housing is financing $ 113 million. The rest of the $ 5 million is being raised from the community. Fraser Health will reimburse the operating costs once the facility is up and running.
- Licensed Community Long-Term Care Facility
- u125 beds, 3-storey concrete building plus underground parking level
- electric car charging stations in parking spots
- Ample outdoor spaces and green spaces
- Operated by PICS Society under Fraser Health Authority (FHA) guidelines.
- Boost local economy and business sales
- Employ about 125 new employees
Culturally Sensitive Care Services
- Incorporate South-Asian cultural values, traditions, and beliefs into the care environment
- Provide residents traditional South-Asian cuisines and western meals
- Communicate with residents in their preferred language
- Work with cultural and faith-based community organizations to connect residents to their services and include South Asian-focused activities into their programming.
- Train all staff in cultural competence and cultural sensitivity
- 24-hour care services, housekeeping, assistance with daily living tasks